Madd Hatter's Lab





Thursday, November 02, 2006

Fun Times


Last weekend I went to a wedding. It was the first of my college friends to get married (actually, I think it may be the first of my friends that are my age to get married). I arrive in St. Louis, the first time setting foot in Missouri since leaving KC two years ago, and get my car and head to the Cheshire Lodge to meet up with friends.

This place was a throwback to another era. Don't get me wrong, it was very clean, fairly nice, just odd. My friends were staying in a room that had a "Tally Ho!" plaque on the front door. The tv set was a nice 13 inch from the 70s, and the room had fake stained glass windows. In the bathroom, there was a bottle opener attached to the vanity -- one of the kind that screw into the marble and is there permanently.

Downstairs was Mr. Bear that you see pictured above. The place was rather surreal. I almost wish I had stayed just a little longer in St. Louis to warrant a night in one of the fantasy suites.

I'm generally not a big fan of weddings. They're always so formal with everyone acting wedding-ish. But this wedding was short, sweet, to-the-point, with only the parts that meant something to the couple thrown into the ceremony. Then, the rest of the time, spent enjoying friends and family.

And, the place was decorated with the couple in mind. My friend Sean is a toy freak - loves Japanese toys, robots, etc. He also loves skulls, and so, this was one of the two centerpieces:



Then, my favorite part, the bride's love of Hello Kitty was representing:



She also had Sanrio champagne flutes for the toast. I like this girl already :-) And, it was a great wedding -- very them, and very beautiful.

After the wedding, I was ready to get out of Missouri though. Something bad must have happened to me in a past life there. Even when I was on the plane headed for Dallas, I kept waking up thinking, "I can't oversleep. What if I get stuck here? I can't be stuck here!" Then I would wake up, after a few short seconds of panic I would realize I was on a plane, out of Missouri, and I was headed back home. My heart rate would slow back down as I snuggled back into my seat and pulled my eyemask back down.

This happened 3 times on the plane. Even though it was great seeing friends and catching up, I am so glad to be back home.

The happy groom:

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home